Tasmania Makes | Expression of Interest
A new annual opportunity for Tasmanian Designer-Makers to expand their practice, gain recognition and forge new industry connections.
Expressions of Interest Open: Thursday 15th June - Tuesday 11th July, 2023
Are you a Tasmanian designer-maker looking to expand your work beyond client briefs, gain recognition, and forge valuable industry connections both locally and beyond the island? Design Tasmania proudly presents Tasmania Makes—a new annual initiative that seeks to amplify creative risk-taking, strengthen networks, and propel designer-maker practice to new heights.
We welcome makers from diverse backgrounds, career levels, and design disciplines to submit ideas for a new product, provocation or prototype that extends your practice conceptually or materially, strengthens cultural practice, or addresses emerging markets or contemporary issues.
Selected outcomes for 2023 will be showcased at Design Tasmania for three months, from Dec 23-Feb 24, with potential inclusion in Design Tasmania's presentation at the Melbourne Design Fair 2024. Additional tailored opportunities will be sought on a customised basis through the year.
We encourage submissions from Tasmanian Aboriginal cultural practitioners, culturally diverse artists, and artists with disabilities.
Image Credit: Bella Dower, Visible Absence, photo by Peter Whyte Photography
Please provide the following via the above link. If you have any support materials; images, sketches, renders etc. that you would like to include in your application please email directly to: email@example.com with your full name and 'Tasmania Makes' application in the subject line.
- Full name + contact information
- Short Bio
- Written proposal outlining your practice
- Further outline of your idea?
- How do you propose to go about it?
- What is your desired outcome, and how could we best support you?
- Provide a link to your website or example of your work
For more information about the invitation and opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply with your Expression of Interest, please go here
Successful applications must be:
- Designed and made in Tasmania by Tasmanian practitioners
- Is a First Edition or Prototype
- Has been made within the last 2 years and not exhibited elsewhere before the Design Tasmania exhibition
- Demonstrates a desire and plan to extend current practice conceptually, materially or economically
15th June Expressions of Interest open
11th July Expressions of Interest close, midnight
17th July Successful applicants notified
September Mid-project check-in (date tba)
15th November Marketing deadline - hero image & final description
29th November Work to be delivered to Design Tasmania for installation
4th December Exhibition opening