Positions Open: Retail Manager
Design Tasmania are looking for an inspired, design-forward person, passionate about customer service to refine and expand our retail offering, working directly with some of Tasmania's most celebrated designer-makers.
The Retail Manager will deliver high level customer service to our visitors and customers through keen knowledge of our products and makers, maintaining excellent visual merchandising and stock management to achieve strong sales.
You will have great communication skills and the ability to share the story of our unique Tasmanian design culture, designer-makers and their products. You will be highly engaged with the Design Tasmania Artistic Program in the gallery, collaborating to align the retail offering to our programs, and communications strategies. Leading by example for sales, store experience, and operations, you represent the institution with great interpersonal skills, multi-tasking, and attention to detail.
The Retail Manager must be highly efficient at cash handling & POS experience, and be flexible and available to work weekdays and some weekends and evenings.
- Applicable qualifications in customer service and retail management (tertiary and/or equivalent work experience);
- Design culture awareness in Tasmania and beyond with a commitment to industry as a whole;
- Directly responsible for achievement of store sales goals and performance metrics through the execution of strategies and team performance management;
- Develops strategies for manufacturing and retail streams for future growth;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple customers in a busy retail environment;
- Administrative and organisational skills with experience in stock management, merchandising, inventory control, freight and presentation of products;
- Superior customer experience and supplier relationship management;
- Strong computer skills: in Vend, Shopify and Microsoft Suite. Familiarity with Adobe would be beneficial;
- Achieves and exceeds all financial and operational objectives to include expense control, budget management, loss prevention, audits/checklists and weekly reports;
- Consistently executes weekly and monthly business reports and tasks;
- Manages team to ensure compliance of all company policies and procedures;
- Makes sound business decisions and effectively communicates to all staff;
- Promotes and follows safety protocols;
- Reach Key Performance Indicators inline with Design Tasmania’s Annual targets for:
o Online sales
o In-store sales
o Number of Designers represented
Design Tasmania is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values diversity in the workplace. As such, Design Tasmania encourages applications from people with diverse cultural backgrounds and it is our policy to consider reasonable adjustments for qualified applicants with disabilities.
Submissions extended, due 21st January, 2022.
For more information contact: Sarah Blacklock; firstname.lastname@example.org
What We Do
Design Tasmania, a hub for Tasmania’s makers, design, culture and enterprise, is recognised as one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit design organisations. Dedicated to nurturing and championing creative practice in Tasmania since 1976, we encourage creative risk-taking, facilitate new work and collaborate to broaden the national and international audience for Tasmanian design and craft and bring design to as many as possible.
Design Tasmania is a destination attraction for cultural tourism in the state’s north, welcoming over 100,000 visitors each year and promoting design and craft through exhibitions, collection, retail, mentoring, colloquiums, camps, and workshops. Housing one of Australia’s most significant contemporary timber design collections, Design Tasmania’s Launceston City Park base is recognised as one of the world’s best contemporary buildings.
Submitting your application
Only applications submitted using the following guidelines will be considered.
- Submit via email with the subject line: Retail Manager Application & include your name
- Attach an up-to-date CV and cover letter detailing a brief overview of your suitability for the position based on the select criteria, should be no longer than one page.