DESIGN TASMANIA IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW VOLUNTEERS TO SUPPORT THE EXCEPTIONAL SERVICES PROVIDED TO THE ORGANISATION BY OUR EXISITNG TEAM.
Volunteer Position Description
- Position Title: Volunteer Gallery Attendant
- Location: Design Tasmania Centre, Cnr Tamar and Brisbane Sts, Launceston TAS 7250
- Hours: Minimum 2hrs per week
Work Level Description
To assist in Design Tasmania Centre customer service, security and presentation during gallery opening hours, including providing supervisory presence during public use of the Exhibition displays in Galleries 1,2,3,4 and the Park Room.
Duties of Position
Work under the general direction of the General Manager and/or the Volunteer Coordinator in providing a welcome to our visitors. The prime duty of this position is greeting all Design Tasmania visitors in a friendly, warm manner, informing them of the history, shop, temporary exhibitions and the world renowned Design Tasmania Wood Collection. Collect entry fees and process cash and any sale of catalogues and other small items. Record visitor statistics, and cash taken on day sheet. At the close of business, reconcile all monies taken with the day sheet, and fill out Cash/Visitors docket and place docket and monies in Float Tin.
Have knowledge of current exhibitions. Assist visitors with tourist information.
Protect displays from harm and provide security and care of the galleries. To provide assistance as required in the maintenance and care of the Collection and tasks associated with installing exhibitions and displays.
Skills, abilities, knowledge and experience required/desirable
No formal qualifications are required for this position. However a desire to provide excellent customer service, and ensure our visitors are aware of all events occurring within the Design Centre. A basic awareness of practices and procedures relevant to an art gallery. Basic numeracy, written and verbal communication skills relevant to an art gallery/museum.
1. Demonstrated interest in providing quality customer service
2. Capacity to work under general direction, whilst providing initiative/support as required
3. Demonstrated capacity to work collegially in a very small organisation; whilst delivering quality customer service
4. Demonstrated interest in and/or knowledge of contemporary design/visual arts
Contact Amy Cavanough on 0400 090 749 during business hours or email for further details and an application form.