Positions Open: Artistic Director
Design Tasmania is looking for an inspired and passionate Artistic Director to provide artistic leadership for our program of exceptional design projects. The role offers an opportunity to conceptualise and bring to life projects for exhibition in our spectacular gallery spaces and via off-site and online programs, publications, and presentations.
The Artistic Director will work closely with the Board and CEO to develop Design Tasmania’s long term artistic strategy and shape the creative vision for the organisation.
You will have exceptional skills in design and artistic program development, relationship management and communications and a strong network within the professional design and artistic community.
Qualifications and Experience
- A recognised leader in the field of contemporary design
- A lead role in a relevant contemporary art organisation or business
- An exceptional track record of planning, managing and delivering successful contemporary exhibitions, commissions, and artistic programs
- Experience in representing an arts organisation in the public arena
- Excellent networks with designers, colleagues and institutions
- Excellent knowledge of considerations influencing contemporary design practice
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in a relevant field
- Dynamic, innovative, creative and engaged
- Strong decision-making ability, with sound judgement and strong analytical skills
- Network oriented with excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- High-level strategic planning and project management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise effectively within tight timelines
- Demonstrated capacity in working within financial constraints
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Strong ability to lead and inspire a collaborative team environment
Design Tasmania is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values diversity in the workplace. As such, Design Tasmania encourages applications from people with diverse cultural backgrounds and it is our policy to consider reasonable adjustments for qualified applicants with disabilities.
Submissions due: 15.6.22
For more information contact: Sarah Blacklock: email@example.com
What We Do
Design Tasmania, a hub for Tasmania’s makers, design, culture and enterprise, is recognised as one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit design organisations. Dedicated to nurturing and championing creative practice in Tasmania since 1976, we encourage creative risk-taking, facilitate new work and collaborate to broaden the national and international audience for Tasmanian design and craft and bring design to as many as possible.
Design Tasmania is a destination attraction for cultural tourism in the state’s north, welcoming over 100,000 visitors each year and promoting design and craft through exhibitions, collection, retail, mentoring, colloquiums, camps, and workshops. Housing one of Australia’s most significant contemporary timber design collections, Design Tasmania’s Launceston City Park base is recognised as one of the world’s best contemporary buildings.
Submitting your application
Only applications submitted using the following guidelines will be considered.
- Submit via email with the subject line: Artistic Director Application & include your name
- Attach an up-to-date CV and cover letter detailing a brief overview of your suitability for the position based on the above criteria, should be no longer than one page.